Foundation of Berndorfer Metallwarenfabrik

Alfred Krupp and Alexander Schoeller founded the k. K. Privilegierte Metallwarenfabrik in Berndorf in 1843.

Jan. 1843

First production of a film casting belt made of cupper

At the beginning of the 1920s, Berndorf was the only supplier of film belts made of copper and nickel.

Apr. 1923

Reconstruction of the film belt production in Ranshofen

At the end of the second world war the production of the film-casting belts was stopped under Russian occupation. The equipment of the belt production was dismantled by the Soviet army and brought to the East. After the dismantling of the belt machines, the production of copper and nickel belts was resumed in 1953 at the aluminum factory in Ranshofen to supply pre-war customers from different countries.

Jun. 1953

Film production back in Berndorf

After the withdrawal of the Russian army from Austria in 1955 and the nationalization of the former German industrial property, including both Ranshofen and Berndorf, the Berndorf factory was found from 1957 onwards as a branch of the state enterprise Vereinigte Metallwerke Ranshofen-Berndorf AG, VMW. The film production was thus moved back to Berndorf.

Feb. 1957

Production of mirror polished steel belts

In 1960, Berndorf started the production of steel belts for the film and foil industry with a highly polished surface made of stainless steel, called NICRO. The unusual name NICRO has historical origin. Krupp has protected this brand name internationally some decades ago for the stainless steel Berndorf cutlery made of the steel type chrome-nickel 18/8.

Feb. 1960

Development of longitudinally welded steel belts

Due to the high market demand, a special process has been developed which allows length welding of long steel belts to produce belts up to a width of about 3 m – the longitudinal weld.

Feb. 1965

Conveyor belt production

Equipment of the wood, chemical and food industry with Berndorf steel belts.

Jul. 1970

Establishment of a representation in Japan

Branch of the company “Nippon Belting Company (NBC)” in Tokyo and Osaka.

Mar. 1975

Production of the first steel belt for double belt presses and foundation of a representation in the USA

The agency for steel belts “International Conveyor Belts (ICB)” (today: Berndorf Belt Technology) included the production of steel belt systems in the product portfolio.

Jan. 1976

Product groups of Holding Berndorf AG become independent companies

Management Buy-out and founding of “Berndorf Steelbelt Systems” in Korea.

Mar. 1988

Production of the first structuring band

Aug. 2000

Establishment of the Beijing Berndorf Technology Development (BBTDC) subsidiary in China.

Feb. 2002

Development of the first Modular Double Belt Press

Production processes can be designed flexible for the first time because the machine allows different combinations of any number of modules and components.

Oct. 2012